Manage your energetic state of being and your actions will manage themselves…
As horse people we can get caught up in ‘doing it right’ but our horses are far more interested in the intention behind the actions. Next time things aren’t going as you planned, pause and listen to your head traffic – is it empowering ie. calm, encouraging, appreciative etc, or dis-empowering ie. anxious, judgemental, frustrated etc?
If you don’t like what you hear, try this Soft Heart technique to shift to a empowered energetic state…
- Recognise what you are feeling, denial can’t make the feelings go away but a Soft Heart can
- Remember, it’s not the situation that cause your dis-empowerment, but the significance you’re giving it
- Find your Soft Heart attitude by feeling love, care or appreciation for a person, your horse or something you really care about. This is a reset button for your state
- Allow any unwanted feelings to bathe in the compassion of your softened heart, letting the significance dissolve. Take all the time you need to do this
- Keeping your attention in a Soft Heart can help you recoup mental, emotional and physical balance and vitality
- Be gentle with your human-ness – you are doing the best you can at that moment
Remembering to soften your heart when you are struggling helps you come back to easygoing compassion for yourself and your horse. It’s not a mushy or self-pitying place. It’s a place of ease, self-care and empowerment. Fantastic things can happen in this state…
Adapted from the HeartMath Institute.